Monday 29 April 2013

Piglet: We broke the boat! - 29th April 2013

After breakfast and sorting a few things out we decided we’d better go and fill up with diesel whilst it was quiet.

We unplugged the shoreline, started up and untied the boat.  The wind was blowing hard again as I backed out of the mooring and I needed a few bursts of forward to keep  us from hitting the boat next door.  Our stern was heading for a pontoon behind us so another burst of forward sorted that out.  I needed a bit more room at the bow so put it into reverse again.  When I had enough room I put the boat into forward again, increased the revs and went in reverse quicker!  Something wasn't quite right here so I put it back into reverse and yes it went backwards still.  Pushing the lever forward still made it go backwards (as did the neutral position).  I shouted to Becky to fend off any boats at the front as I fended off the ones behind before stopping the engine and coasting to a halt in-between the boats on the pontoons behind ours.  A quick diagnosis from a marina worker told us it was indeed the gear cable that had snapped, locking us in reverse.  I did have a quick look at fixing it myself but we were running out of time at this stage to head home so polled the boat back across the marina (not easy in the wind) and back into our mooring.  Thankful that the cable had snapped where it did and not in a lock somewhere!

Overall, a very enjoyable few days and we’ll definitely head back in the Crick direction another day.

No comments: